Laptops are an essential part of our daily lives and have become an integral part of our work and personal routines. One of the most essential components of a laptop is its screen, as it is the primary medium through which we interact with the device.
The quality and size of the screen are crucial factors that determine the user experience and overall satisfaction with the device.
Laptop screens are measured using a variety of metrics, including screen resolution, aspect ratio, and screen size. In this article, we will discuss how laptop screens are measured and what these measurements mean for the user.
Screen resolution is one of the most important measurements when it comes to laptop screens. It is the number of pixels that make up the screen, typically measured in width x height format, such as 1920×1080.
The higher the resolution, the more detailed and clear the image will be. However, it is important to note that a higher resolution also means that the text and icons on the screen will be smaller, so it’s important to find the right balance between resolution and usability.
Another important measurement is the aspect ratio, which is the proportion of the width of the screen to its height. The most common aspect ratio for laptops is 16:9, which is the same as most HDTVs.
This aspect ratio is considered to be the most versatile, as it is suitable for a wide range of tasks, including watching videos, working on documents, and browsing the web.
Finally, screen size is another important measurement, which is typically measured in inches. The most common screen sizes for laptops are between 11 and 17 inches, but there are also smaller and larger options available.
The screen size will determine how portable the laptop is, as well as how much screen real estate is available for the user.
A larger screen will be more comfortable for extended use and for multitasking, but it will also make the laptop less portable.
Table of Contents
Tools & Materials Needed For Measurement
To measure the specifications of a laptop screen, you will need a few tools and materials:
- A ruler or tape measure: This will be used to measure the physical dimensions of the screen, such as the width and height.
- A pixel density calculator: This can be found online and is used to calculate the resolution of the screen based on the number of pixels and the physical dimensions of the screen.
- A brightness meter: This tool is used to measure the brightness of the screen, which is measured in cand per square meter (cd/m²).
- A colorimeter: This tool measures the color accuracy and gamut of the screen, which is important for professional use such as photography and graphic design.
- Software to measure the refresh rate of the screen: Some laptops have a higher refresh rate than others, which affects how smooth the image on the screen is.
It is also important to note that some of these tools can be found in a professional lab or in a retail store that specializes in electronic devices, and some of them can be virtual tools on a computer.
Additionally, it is important to have a clean and well-lit environment for the measurement, as the surrounding light and reflections can affect the accuracy of the measurement.
Also, it’s important to check the manufacturer’s specifications for the laptop screen, as they often provide detailed information about the screen’s resolution, aspect ratio, and size.
Different Kinds of Laptop Screens
There are several different types of laptop screens available on the market, each with its own set of features and benefits. Some of the most common types of laptop screens include:
- LCD (Liquid Crystal Display): This is the most common type of laptop screen and is known for its low power consumption and wide viewing angles. It is typically found in budget-friendly laptops and most of the laptops available in the market.
- LED (Light-Emitting Diode): This type of screen is similar to an LCD, but uses LED backlighting to provide a brighter and more energy-efficient display.
- OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode): This is a newer technology that uses organic materials to create a display that is even thinner and more energy-efficient than LED. OLED screens also offer deeper blacks and wider viewing angles.
- IPS (In-Plane Switching): This technology is an improvement over the traditional LCD screens and offers wider viewing angles and more accurate colors.
- AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode): This is a newer technology that combines the benefits of OLED and IPS technology. It offers wider viewing angles, deeper blacks, and more accurate colors.
- QLED (Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diode): This is a newer technology that uses quantum dot technology to create a display that offers more accurate colors and better brightness levels than traditional LCD or LED screens.
- Retina Display: This is a term used by Apple for its high-resolution screens. It has a high pixel density which allows the text to be sharper and the images more detailed.
Ultimately, the type of screen that is best for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, an LCD screen may be the way to go.
If you want a brighter, more energy-efficient display, an LED or OLED screen may be a better choice. And if color accuracy is important to you, an IPS, AMOLED, or QLED screen would be a good option.
Measuring The Laptop Screen With A Tape Measurement – Step By Step
Measuring the screen size of a laptop using a tape measure is a simple process:
- Turn off the laptop and close the lid.
- Place the tape measure on the top left corner of the screen bezel (the frame around the screen) and stretch it diagonally across the screen to the bottom right corner of the bezel.
- Carefully note down the measurement in inches. This is the diagonal measurement of the screen.
- To calculate the width and height of the screen, you can use the aspect ratio of the screen, typically 16:9 for most laptops. To calculate the width, divide the diagonal measurement by the square root of (16^2 +9^2) or by 1.777 which is the aspect ratio. To calculate the height, you can multiply the width by the aspect ratio which is 9/16.
- Compare your measurement to the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure accuracy.
How To Measure The Width of The Laptop?
To measure the width of a laptop screen, you can use the following steps:
- Turn off the laptop and close the lid.
- Place the tape measure on the left side of the screen bezel and stretch it horizontally across the screen to the right side of the bezel.
- Carefully note down the measurement in inches. This is the width of the screen.
- Compare your measurement to the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure accuracy.
It’s important to make sure that the laptop is on a flat surface, such as a desk when measuring to ensure an accurate measurement.
Also, make sure that the tape measure is aligned correctly and that the measurement is taken from the left side of the screen bezel to the right side of the screen bezel.
It’s also worth noting that some laptops might have a different aspect ratio than 16:9, in that case, you should use the correct aspect ratio to calculate the width of the screen. You can use the diagonal measurement and aspect ratio to calculate the width of the screen.
Additionally, if you have the diagonal measurement and aspect ratio, you can calculate the width by dividing the diagonal measurement by the square root of (aspect ratio^2+1).
What Are The Dimensions of A 15.6-inch Laptop Screen?
The dimensions of a 15.6-inch laptop screen are typically around 14 inches wide and 8 inches tall. However, the dimensions can vary slightly depending on the specific laptop model and the aspect ratio of the screen.
The aspect ratio of a 15.6-inch laptop screen is usually 16:9, which is the standard aspect ratio for most laptops and HDTVs.
This means that for every 16 inches of width, there are 9 inches of height. So, for a 15.6-inch screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio, the dimensions would be approximately 14 inches wide by 7.9 inches tall.
It’s also important to note that the physical dimensions of the laptop itself, including the bezel around the screen, can also affect the overall size of the device.
So, it’s important to check the dimensions of the laptop as a whole, not just the screen, when considering the size and portability of the device.
In general, a 15.6-inch laptop is considered a medium-sized laptop. It is big enough to use as a desktop replacement and most of the models have a Full HD resolution, but it is still portable enough to take with you on the go.
Read More: How Do I Find My Dell Laptop Model?
How To Know Laptop Screen Size Without Measuring?
There are a few ways to determine the size of a laptop screen without physically measuring it:
Check the manufacturer’s specifications: Most laptop manufacturers will list the screen size in their product specifications. This information can typically be found on the manufacturer’s website or in the product manual.
Look for online reviews: Many websites and blogs that review laptops will include screen size in their reviews. This can be a good way to get an idea of the screen size without having to measure it yourself.
Compare it to a known size: If you have a laptop with a known screen size, you can compare it to the laptop in question to get a rough idea of the screen size.
Use the Laptop model number: Many laptop model numbers include the screen size. For example, if the model number is “Dell Inspiron 15” the screen size is 15 inches.
Use the Laptop Brand size guide: Many laptop brands have their own size guide for their laptops, where they list the screen size of their products.
It’s important to note that these methods may not always be 100% accurate, so if precision is important to you, it’s best to physically measure the screen to get the most accurate measurement.
In general, a laptop screen size is measured diagonally across the screen, it’s the most common way to know the screen size. If you can’t find the size, you can use the above methods to have an estimate of the size.
How Do You Choose The Best Screen Size For Your Laptop?
Choosing the best screen size for your laptop will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Here are a few factors to consider when choosing a screen size:
- Portability: If you plan on using your laptop on the go, a smaller screen size may be more convenient. Laptops with screen sizes of 11 to 13 inches are more portable and easier to carry around, but the trade-off is that the screen will be smaller.
- Productivity: If you plan on using your laptop for work or other productivity tasks, a larger screen size may be more beneficial. Laptops with screen sizes of 14 to 17 inches will provide more screen real estate, which can make multitasking and work with multiple windows easier.
- Entertainment: If you plan on using your laptop primarily for entertainment, such as watching movies or playing games, a larger screen size will provide a better viewing experience. Laptops with screen sizes of 15 inches or larger will offer a more immersive experience.
- Resolution: Screen resolution is important to consider when choosing a screen size. A higher resolution will make the images and text look sharper, but it might be harder to read on small screens.
- Eye strain: The screen size also affects the eye strain, larger screens can be more comfortable for extended use.
- Budget: The screen size is one of the factors that affect the price of the laptop, bigger screens are more expensive than smaller ones.
Ultimately, it’s important to consider your specific needs and how you plan on using your laptop when choosing a screen size. It’s also a good idea to test out different screen sizes in person to see which one feels most comfortable for you.
The key points to remember when purchasing a laptop are resolution, size, and brightness. When you are making your decision, take into account these three aspects, but remember that the laptop you choose should depend on your needs, not just what looks best on paper.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn more about measuring laptop screens. If you have any other questions or concerns, please comment down below.
Thank you for reading, we are always excited when one of our posts is able to provide useful information on a topic like this!